Introducing the Nebra HNT Outdoor Hotspot Miner
Earn HNT cryptocurrency by mining Helium and building coverage for The People’s Network using the Nebra HNT Outdoor Hotspot Miner. Anyone can join The People’s Network and provide hundreds of square miles of wireless network coverage, while mining HNT on the Helium Blockchain just as hotspot miners do.
The Outdoor HNT Hotspot Miner opens up a plethora of opportunities, such as the ability to mount a hotspot to the side of buildings, houses and roofs. It’s an ideal solution for wider coverage applications across villages, towns and cities.
- Efficient miner for a new cryptocurrency, Helium (HNT)
- Complete set-up in minutes using a smartphone
- LongFi™ technology maximises range and battery life
- Low Power – uses as much power as a broadband router (15W)
- Easily manage Hotspots and tokens from the mobile app
Helium LongFi™ is a technology architecture that combines a leading wireless technology, LoRaWAN, and the Helium Blockchain. LongFi™ is optimised for miles of range, and long battery life for IoT devices.
Proof of Coverage
The Nebra HNT Outdoor Hotspot Miner earns HNT Helium tokens when devices connect, and for validating wireless coverage delivered by peers. Using a system called Proof-of-Coverage, Hotspot Miners earn more HNT when they’re in range of other miners, but need to be at least 300 metres apart.
The range depends on the environment:
- Rural areas: ~10 miles or more.
- Dense areas: ~ 1 mile.
Single HNT Hotspot Miners earn less as they can only issue Challenges over the internet, and can’t participate in Proof-of-Coverage.
This kit comes with:
- Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+ 32GB EMMC Flash Storage.
- LoRa Concentrator Module.
- 3dBm Glass Fiber Antenna.
- IP67 Case suited for outdoor use.
- Nebra ECC Key for securely storing your swarm key.
- Hotspot Management
The Nebra hotspot miners come with two options for managing your hotspot remotely.
This includes built in auto-update functionality (via an auto updater-script) for the life of the device at no extra charge.
The advanced plan includes a management dashboard allowing you to remotely manage your fleet of miners, check device stats, hotspot performance and more. This is a paid service but you get 6 months free with the device purchase. This may not be available from when we first ship but everyone who purchases before we launch the management platform will get at least 6 months free once the management platform is available.
- Powered by Raspberry Pi Compute Module
- LoRa Module Support
- RF interface over 50 U.FL connector for RX and TX.
- WAN Connectivity
- Supports 48V PoE injectors & switches
- Provides 100mbps Ethernet to the Compute Module
- Efficient Power Consumption
- Peak draw of 18W
- Power via 12V 1.5A or PoE
- If you need a power supply, we recommend this one.
- 2.4GHz WiFi
- Optional 4G functionality (we recommend this module)
User Guides & FAQs
Outdoor IP67 Rated Case
Secured inside of our IP67 rated case, your HNT Hotspot Miner will withstand the toughest environments. Being NEMA-67 rated, it provides complete protection against ingress of dust as well as protection against immersion in water.
- Enclosure Seal Operating temperature: -60C to +230C
- Heat Trap: +6.5 Celsius under full sun (~100,000 Lux)
- Temperature raise using a 5-10Watt heat source: +5.5 Celsius
- Inner dimensions: 210mm x 130mm x 50mm
- Outer dimensions (w/o connectors): 235mm x 155mm x 75mm
- Weight (inc mounting brackets): 1.4 Kg
- Wall thickness: 5mm
- Supports masts: up to 50mm diameter
Indoor vs Outdoor Miner
The biggest difference is the outdoor unit comes in a case which is suitable to be used outside in mixed environments and has a few extra features. To help you decide we’ve created this handy guide.
Why earn HNT & use Helium?
Millions of compatible devices can use The People’s Network and each device requires Data Credits (DC) in order to send data to the Internet. Fixed in value, DC are created by ‘burning’ HNT, reducing the total supply to achieve a Burn and Mint Equilibrium. The more devices using DC, the more HNT will be burned.
Helium’s wireless network based on LoRaWAN is best suited for low-power scenarios like sending data to and from sensors using low-cost radio waves, eliminating reliance on more costly networks like cellular and WiFi. It’s fully peer to peer and leverages a robust network of hotspots connected to the network. With just 100 to 200 hotspots, the network can usually cover most cities. In return for hosting hotspots, hosts can earn $HNT for providing access to the LongFi network.
How are Tokens Earned?
Hotspots earn HNT for building and securing network infrastructure and transferring device data. The amount of HNT distributed to Hotspots depends on the type of “work” they perform based on the value to the network. This validation of network contribution is accomplished by a new work algorithm called Proof-of-Coverage (PoC).
To participate in PoC there must be multiple Hotspots at least 300 meters apart in an area, but still within range of each other (up to many miles depending on environment). Single Hotspots earn less as they can only issue Challenges over the internet, and can’t participate in Proof-of-Coverage. After the first year, distribution amounts adjust.
We’re happy to announce that for every Helium hotspot miner sold we’re committing to giving $1 per device as a donation to DeWi.